Off-Site Construction Council
Off-site construction is the planning, design, fabrication, and assembly of building elements at a location other than their final installed location to support the rapid and efficient construction of a permanent structure. Off-site construction is characterized by an integrated planning and supply chain optimization strategy.
In 2013, the National Institute of Building Sciences established the Off-Site Construction Council (OSCC) to serve as a research, education and outreach center for relevant and current information on off-site design and construction for commercial, institutional, and multifamily facilities.
NIBS staff and members of the OSCC have supported Federal and private off-site construction research projects, including toolkits, roadmaps, and reports for the off-site industry. NIBS and the OSCC encourage OSCC members and other off-site stakeholders to submit reports or projects of interest that can help in the furthering of the Council's goals.
To continue to research and improve the numerous productivity benefits of off-site construction—specifically in the areas of labor, scheduling, cost, quality, and safety
To educate the benefits and applications of off-site construction, which is characterized by an integrated planning and supply chain optimization strategy
To promote relevant and current information on off-site design and construction for commercial, institutional and multifamily facilities
OSCC to serves as a research, education and outreach center for off-site design and construction for commercial, institutional, and multifamily facilities. Members represent the diversity of interests in off-site construction including owners, manufacturers, contractors, architects and academia.
OSCC Board Members represent the diversity of interests in off-site construction including owners, manufacturers, contractors, architects and academia.
Managing Partner, AoRa Development
Ryan M. Colker, J.D., CAE
Vice President of Innovation, ICC
Founder & CEO, Quilt Group
Immediate Past Chair
Horizon North (retired)
Ryan E. Smith
MOD X Modular Offsite Consultant;
SDC Director Washington State University
Board of Directors Liaison
Brian E. Garbecki, PE, LEED AP
Gilbane Building Company, Boston, MA
Building Ambassador, 84 Lumber
Kyle Barry, PMP
Director, Technical Solutions, National Institute of Building Sciences
- A strategic report that presents the key knowledge gaps and research needs to overcome the barriers and challenges to offsite construction.View ( ; 94 pgs)
- This toolkit serves as a starting point for developing real estate projects with manufactured housing by: Providing an overview of the manufacturing process; Outlining each step in the planning and…View ( ; 48 pgs)
- This toolkit offers a starting point and provides important resources for lenders, developers, and stakeholders interested in pursuing multifamily modular construction.View ( ; 34 pgs)
- The Modular and Off-Site Construction Guide serves as a primer on the modular approach for architects. It includes: value and opportunities of modular design; pitfalls designers should be wary of;…View ( ; 41 pgs)
- This report compiles the results of a follow-up survey conducted in 2018 by the Off-Site Construction Council (OSCC) to understand how the U.S. construction sector use off-site construction…View ( ; 17 pgs)
- Modular multifamily housing construction can increase the development of healthy affordable housing by saving significant cost, time, and resources. This nacent market also bears risks for developers…View ( ; 30 pgs)
- View ( ; 16 pgs)
- This report compiles the results of a survey conducted by the Off-Site Construction Council (OSCC) in the summer of 2015 to identify the types, frequency of use and effectiveness of software…View ( ; 22 pgs)
- Solid timber construction (STC) refers to different types of massive wood planar or frame elements used for walls, floors, roofs, partitions and core elements of a building. Construction with solid…View ( ; 100 pgs)
- View ( ; 47 pgs)
- View ( ; 26 pgs)
- Off-site Construction Education: results of a survey of prefabrication in design and construction academicsView ( ; 8 pgs)
Should you have any additional questions about the Off-Site Construction Council or would like to know more about the council's activities, please contact:
Kyle Barry, PMP
Director, Technical Solutions
National Institute of Building Sciences