About the Council
The Consultative Council assembles high-level building community representatives to make recommendations directly to the executive and legislative branches of government to improve our nation's buildings and infrastructure
- Congress authorized the Institute to bring together representatives of government, the professions, industry, labor and consumer interests to identify and resolve building process and facility performance issues
- Policymakers are making decisions impacting the entire building community—where possible, a united building community can influence the appropriate action
- The Institute is the unbiased forum for discussing issues and identifying opportunities within the building community
- The Consultative Council provides a forum for regular interaction and discussion among staff leaders of key organizations within the building community
- Perform such other functions as may be required by the Institute bylaws or as directed by the Board of Directors.
The Council is made up of key organizations representing the following sectors of the building community:
- Consumer and General Interest - Consumers, users, academia, media, and public interest groups.
- Architects - Architects and related professionals in private practice.
- Engineers - Engineers and related professionals in private practice.
- Federal Government - Officials and representatives of federal government agencies.
- State and Local Government - Officials and representatives of state and local government, including code officials.
- Building Construction - Building construction contractors, subcontractors, and utilities.
- Labor Organizations - Building trade unions.
- Housing - Builders, developers, and housing producers.
- Building Materials and Products - Producers, manufacturers, and distributors of materials and products (including software) used in the building process.
- Codes and Standards - Standards and model code developing organizations.
- Real Estate, Finance and Insurance - Owners, real estate, financial, and insurance organizations.
- Research, Testing and Other Services - Research organizations, testing laboratories, and other service organizations.
For further details on the Council, please contact:
National Institute of Building Sciences
1090 Vermont Avenue NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20005
(202) 289-1092 Fax
Institute Board Liaison
Joy Marshall Ortiz, AIA, NCARB
The Marshall Group, Reston, VA