Building Enclosure Technology and Environment Council
WBDG Whole Building Design Guide
Building Envelope Design Guide (BEDG)
Under guidance from the Federal Envelope Advisory Committee, the National Institute of Building Sciences has developed this comprehensive guide for exterior envelope design and construction for institutional/office buildings. The BEDG is continually being improved and updated through the Building Enclosure Councils (BECs).
NIBS Guideline 3-2012 Building Enclosure Commissioning Process BECx
National Institute of Building Sciences, 2012.
Journal of the National Institute of Building Sciences (JNIBS)
The National Institute of Building Sciences began publishing the bi-monthly Journal of the National Institute of Building Sciences (JNIBS) in June 2013, through a relationship with Stamats Commercial Buildings Group. The Institute’s previous journal – the Journal of Building Enclosure Design (JBED) is now a part of this new periodical.
The Cold Hard Facts About Ice Dams on Roofs
Friday, May 29, 2015
Presented by Peter Nelson of Simpson Gumpertz & Heger
This webinar discussed potential solutions to roof leaks caused by ice dams formed on roofs by record snowfalls and freezing temperatures — an issue of major concern after this winter's extended cold season. View the event | Download the presentation
Symposia and Workshops
Architecture and Building Science Education in North America, Challenges and Opportunities
A recent workshop on Building Science Education in North America hosted by ASTM International and the National Institute of Building Sciences, spurred frank discussion about the place of the modern architect in building design and construction. The workshop was held during ASTM’s May committee week in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and attracted more than 100 participants ranging from students to professors to department chairs representing U.S. and Canadian colleges and universities as well as practicing design and construction professionals and representatives from both the legal and insurance communities north and south of the border.
- Dr. John Straube, University of Waterloo
- John Fernandez, Director of Building Technology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Dr. Georg Reichard, Virginia Tech
- Ronald Krpan, PE, British Columbia Institute of Technology
- Henry Green, Hon. AIA, President, National Institute of Building Sciences
- Patrick Huelman, University of Minnesota
- Hua Ge, Concordia University
- Andrew Dunlap, SmithGroup Architects
This article by Daniel J. Lemieux in ASTM Standardization News provides an overview.
Building Innovation — The National Institute of Building Sciences Annual Conference & Expo
Each January, BETEC members come together to discuss building enclosure topics during Building Innovation — The National Institute of Building Sciences Annual Conference & Expo.
The presentations below are available as Adobe Acrobat PDFs.
April 18-19, Washington, DC Area
A workshop sponsored by BETEC and the International Network for Information on Ventilation and Energy Performance
2010 Workshop: Why Green Buildings Cannot Be Built Without Air Barrier Systems
October 26 - Washington, DC
A symposium sponsored by the Building Enclosure Technology & Environment Council and the High Performance Building Council of the National Institute of Building Sciences and the Air Barrier Association of America.
Session 1: Significance of air control and barrier technology, chair Wagdy Anis
- Control of air flows to reduce energy use in buildings – Steven Emmerich, NIST
- Control of air flow in building enclosures: state of the art review of requirements and testing – Wagdy Anis, Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates
- Control of air flow and other environmental measures in Energy Star homes – Sam Rashkin, EPA
- Control of air flow as a part of design and commissioning to achieve energy efficiency of commercial buildings – Sean O'Brien and Marcin Pazera, SGH
- Control of air flow as a part of thermal insulation manufacturer instructions to achieve energy efficiency of any building – Charles Cottrell, North American Insulation Manufacturers Association
- Practical cases identifying the issues – Grahame E. Maisey, Building Services Consultants, Inc. Energy Master Plans and Total Quality Commissioning, Wyncote, PA
Session 2: Technical development agenda, chair Leonard Anastasi
2009 BETEC Symposium Papers
- Energy Efficiency Upgrades Bolling Federal Building – Paul E. Totten, PE, LEED AP, Simpson Gumperts & Heger
- Designing Commercial Energy Retrofit for Curtain Walls – Dudley G. McFarquhar, PhD, PE, McFarquhar Group Inc.
- Advanced Glazing and Window Technologies – Brandon Tinianov, PhD, PE, LEED AP, Serious Materials
- U.S. DOE Building Windows and Envelope R&D - Retrofit Focus – Marc LaFrance, US DOE and Joseph Deringer, LBNL
- Retrofit of Building Enclosures for Energy Efficiency, – Wagdy Anis, LEED AP, FAIA, Wiss, Janney, Elstner, Associates, Inc.
- Reducing Air Leakage Through Envelope Retrofits: Does Your Building Suck? – Steven Tratt, Honeywell
- Economic Evaluation of EIFS Energy Retrofit – Jennifer Keegan Kovach, Western Waterproofing; John Edgar, Sto Corp.; and Jordan Ruzz, PE