Creating High-Performing Resilient Communities
Earn 3.5 Learning Units / Health, Safety, Welfare
Friday, January 9, 2015, 8:30 am — 12:00 pm
(Followed by the FEDCon® Keynote Lunch at 12:00 pm)
Achieving high-performing resilient communities requires development and implementation of a multi-faceted, multi-disciplinary solution that engages all aspects of the built environment, along with corporate and government representatives. Leaders from building industry organizations and corporations will come together during this plenary session to discuss their current efforts to advance resilience within their organizations and the steps necessary to work harmoniously to realize the achievement of national and regional goals.
The Plenary Symposium: Creating High-Performing Resilient Communities will cover two of the key outcomes expected from Building Innovation 2015 — an examination of building innovations under development by Institute programs and a discussion with industry leaders focused on the conference theme, Creating High-Performing Resilient Communities.
The morning will kick off with a lightning round of Innovation Presentations from National Institute of Building Sciences program directors highlighting the latest tools, guidance, projects and programs coming out of the Institute and its councils and committees. These quick snapshots (about five minutes each) will provide attendees a glimpse into the diversity of work underway at the Institute and whet their appetite to learn more.
Following the Innovation Presentations, a panel of CEOs from non-profit organizations and for-profit corporations will discuss the conference theme, Creating High-Performing Resilient Communities, and how their organizations are internalizing and implementing programs that support achievement of these industry and community goals. The moderator will begin by presenting the panel with some preliminary questions and then expand the question and answer session to include participation from the audience.
- William R. Calhoun, Jr., Vice Chairman & Executive Vice President, Clark Construction Group
- Randy Fiser, CEO, American Society of Interior Designers
- Henry L. Green, Hon. AIA, President, National Institute of Building Sciences (moderator)
- Robert Ivy, FAIA, Executive Vice President/CEO, American Institute of Architects
- John Selldorff, President & CEO, Legrand North America
- Joseph Stettinius, Jr., CEO, Cassidy Turley
- How do you define high performance and resilience?
- Where do you see the industry in the next 3 to 5 years?
- What tools are needed to help move the industry forward?
- What are you doing to address existing buildings?
- What are your current priorities?
- How are you addressing workforce issues?
8:30 am – 10:00 am
Building Innovation Snapshots
Institute Council and Committee Program Directors
10:00 am – 10:30 am
10:30 am – 12:00 pm
CEO Panel: Creating High-Performing Resilient Communities
Panel of Industry Executives
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm
FEDCon® Keynote Luncheon
Commissioner Norman Dong, U.S. General Services Administration Public Buildings Service